|Back to Back Issues Page|
Great Guitar Tips, Issue #048
March 31, 2008
Here's your latest issue of...
Great Guitar Tips - The World's Most Useable Guitar E-Zine ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A free, monthly E-Zine dedicated to providing you with useful information and tips for your guitar playing ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2008 Issue #048 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you like this E-Zine, please do a friend a big favor and pass it on. If a friend DID forward this to you and if you like what you read, please subscribe by visiting...
Table Of Contents
2. New pages/videos
3. Study Point - Using your thumb correctly
4. Recommended Resource - Fr/ee Classical Guitar Internet Radio
5. Your Favorite 3 Classical Guitarists - There's been some great responses!
6. This Month's Fr/ee Music
1. NewsHi to all new and old subscribers!
Welcome to the March 2008 issue. This month there's plenty for you to look at and learn from. For instance there's a new lesson on the fr/ee lessons page. It's a waltz by Carcassi and I need to ask a favor of you with this one.
When you get to having a look at it below you'll notice that I've recorded it in a different manner than the other videos. I invested in a second camera, some better lighting equipment and tried to make the background more professional looking.
Also I've recorded a "performance" part so that you hear what the music sounds like as a proper performance + I've added a "slow-motion" part of both left and right hands to help you work the music out better.
What I need you to do is watch the video then hit "return" button on your email and let me know what you think of the new format. Is it more helpful to you this way? Would you want anything changed e.g. camera angles etc?
Yes, I am serious. Please hit the reply button and let me know. I want to make this site, including videos and information, as user-friendly and helpful as possible.
On that point I've provided a bit of info and some PDF's on using your thumb of your right hand correctly. There's no video as yet but I intend putting one up over the next week when I get more time. See below for more info.
Other topics include a great site for internet classical guitar radio that costs nothing and an update on the Favorite Guitar Player's page where I highlight some really great responses.
And then there's the monthly music...so let's get on with it.
2. New PagesThere's a new lesson page with a Carcassi Waltz in A major that has some great learning points. Read more on the Waltz in A by Carcassi here...
3. Study Point - Using Your right Thumb CorrectlyWhen using your right hand thumb (If you're a right handed guitarist of course) it pays to practice to gain a good degree of fine motor control. And a good way to practice is to think of your thumb kind of like a pencil and it's drawing small circles in a counter-clockwise manner.
Practice these movements slowly and with concentration and you'll find your thumb control developing in short order. Also keep your thumb straight but relaxed. Here's an easy open string exercise that I've used with many of my students that's
worked to good effect...
Anyway, you use the thumb on the bass strings and then fingers i, m & a on the treble strings. You can
get a copy here...
4. Recommended Resource - Fr/ee Classical Guitar Internet RadioIn my internet travels this past month I came across a great classical guitar internet radio site called SKY FM. They play some great guitar pieces from some high profile guitarists and it's totally fr/ee. There's some advertising but not much.
If you want to get rid of the advertising you can subscribe to the Premium version. I think it's less than five dollars per month so it's not much but I think the fr\ee version's just fine.
You can start listening to the music
5. Your Favorite 3 Classical Guitarists - There's been some great responses!The "Name Your 3 Favorite Classical Guitarist's" page continues to swell. Here's an example of a recent excellent response from Patricia in Michigan...
If you haven't already given your opinion you can do so here...
And don't forget, you can add your comments to other people's comments but please - keep them on the positive side. Any negative stuff shall be removed. I want to keep this site on a positive note throughout for all of us.
6. This Month's Fr/ee MusicAnd now for the music! This month's music is an Allegretto by Giuliani. You get to practice using different fingers in combination i.e. i & m, i & a. amongst other things.
You can get a copy of the music
P.S. Don't forget to hit the "reply" button on your email and tell me your opinion on the new style videos...
|Back to Back Issues Page|